Where to Staycation in British Columbia
Everyone knows the best way to travel is on the open road. But this summer as travel options outside the country are interrupted by COVID-19, a Canadian road trip would seem a good way to save some money, spend it locally — and see some of the uniquely Canadian sights you’ve always wanted to see but never got around to.
Before heading out, do your research as there are still plenty of COVID-19 restrictions in place that could throw a curveball into your planning.
As a reminder, Provincial governments are still urging people against non-essential travel, even if most — though not all — provincial borders are open. All three of the territories are closed to non-residents and non-essential workers, as well as Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.
But sometimes the ultimate vacation spot is right at home. Below are our top six favourite Staycation spots in Beautiful British Columbia.
- Secret Cove Treehouse: This clifftop retreat is a secluded, modern, and luxurious spot in The Sunshine Coast. If you’re looking for a peaceful getaway, this is the place to be. There’s also a nearby park with stunning views, several activities such as biking and hiking, and the place offers both room and suite rentals.
- Hastings House on Salt Spring Island: A luxury waterfront getaway set on 22 acres on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia. This seaside resort offers scenic island views, a restaurant, and a spa. The hotel restaurant serves regional cuisine complemented by artfully selected wines from the area and from around the world. On your romantic getaway, indulge in relaxing treatments at The Spa which offers a varied menu of services. Other vacation activities include shopping and romantic walks in the nearby village, hiking, sailing, whale watching, kayaking, and fishing.
- Sparkling Hill Resort: Overlooking lake Okanagan, this beautiful resort offers you an elegant retreat with several wellness and spa options. A bit on the higher end price-wise, but it will serve as the ultimate relaxing staycation.
- Mountain View Cabins in the Canadian Rockies: These affordable cabins are the perfect place to stay after exploring the Canadian Rockies. They offer the perfect “switch off” retreat that helps you take a break from the crazy modernized wifi-infused life you’ve been living. This rustic experience is perfect for either a romantic getaway, or a friends and family gathering.
- The Fairmont Empress Hotel: This beautiful romantic hotel is located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Check into this historic hotel to explore Victoria, get pampered at the spa, and engage in exciting activities such as ocean-bound whale watching. The hotel opened in 1908 and has a long history. It has attracted many celebrity guests, including Rita Hayworth, Katherine Hepburn, Roger Moore, John Travolta, Barbara Streisand, and Harrison Ford. The Willow Stream Spa offers exclusive and specialized treatments using natural resources and indigenous ingredients such as purifying algae, rare muds, essential oils, and herbs.
- The Wickaninnish Inn: Located on the west coast of Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the inn is a beautiful, romantic vacation hideaway surrounded by the ocean and a forest. If you are looking for secluded vacation spots, this is the destination for you. Chesterman Beach, one of the nicest beaches in Canada, is located just steps from the inn. Guests can choose from a variety of activities, such as whale watching, sea-kayaking, and nature tours.