There’s a lot to be proud of as a Canadian. Although our history is still comparatively young, we’ve come a long way in becoming the country we are today.
On July 1, 1867, the Constitution Act, 1867 officially united the three separate colonies of the Province of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into the Dominion of Canada (under the British Empire). Hence, Canada Day was originally called Dominion Day. It wasn’t until 1982, when Canada became completely independent, that Dominion Day was renamed Canada Day. In 1965, we officially got our national flag.
The rest of the world think that we’re polite lumberjacks who live in igloos, but what are some real facts about Canada?
- Canada produces over 70% of the world’s maple syrup, and even has a strategic reserve in case the supplies run low.
- Canada has the most number of lakes of any country in the world, and is home to 7% of the world’s renewable fresh water.
- We have an underground laboratory in Ontario designed to study neutrino and dark matter physics.
- We harvest icebergs in Newfoundland and Labrador to make vodka, beer, wine, and even skincare products.
- Canada has six time zones.
Let your Canadian pride shine through and celebrate our great nation’s birthday with some Canada-themed items and local activities:
- Canada Place, Vancouver: Celebrate events all day, starting with the Citizenship Ceremony and concluding with the Canada Day Fireworks Show.
- Granville Island, Vancouver: Various events hosted by the businesses, including a parade, jazz performances, lobster cookout, and arts workshops.
- Steveston Village, Richmond: Celebrate Canada Day at the Steveston Salmon Festival with its famous salmon barbeque, a parade, performances by over 50 performers, various activities, and, of course, fireworks.
Pauline Cho Pauline’s passion for fashion kicked in as a teenager flipping through fashion mags with her friends. And when she clued in to Cher’s closet in Clueless, there was no stopping her – she and her dream shoe and bag collection had found a home. Here at Oakridge, we trust Pauline to be up on all the interesting restaurants in town, the latest movies in the theatre, and always ready to share her intel. Just don’t think of disturbing her when she’s scrolling IG and Pinterest for the coolest makeup and nail inspo!