Thanksgiving Day was traditionally the celebration of the harvest and blessings from the past year. Though it has been officially celebrated in Canada since 1879, it wasn’t until 1957 where the Governor General of Canada proclaimed it to be a national holiday.
Today, many people take this holiday as an opportunity to gather with friends and family for a festive meal. Foods that are typically served are roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, various autumn vegetables, and of course, pumpkin pie.
Did you know?
- Celebrating with turkey, squash, and pumpkin was first introduced to Nova Scotia in the 1750s and became common across Canada by the 1870s.
- Thanksgiving Day is a statutory holiday in all provinces and territories except Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- Thanksgiving was first observed annually in Canada on November 6, 1879. The date for each of the following years was determined annually by Parliament. In fact, it had been celebrated as late as December and for a decade, starting in 1921, was celebrated on the same day as Armistice Day (now Remembrance Day).
Fall activities in and around Vancouver:
- Chilliwack Corn Maze & Pumpkin Patch: The have been in operation since 1999 and is a must-see. The design of their maze changes every year, and this year, they are celebrating the Canucks’ 50th Anniversary.
- VanDusen Botanical Gardens: Fall doesn’t mean the end of beautiful colours and blooms. Take a stroll through VanDusen and be amazed by the breathtaking views of the fall foliage.
- The Pumpkin Patch at Richmond Country Farms: There’s a lot to at this pumpkin patch, including entertainment, a live band, and a wagon ride.
Pauline Cho Pauline’s passion for fashion kicked in as a teenager flipping through fashion mags with her friends. And when she clued in to Cher’s closet in Clueless, there was no stopping her – she and her dream shoe and bag collection had found a home. Here at Oakridge, we trust Pauline to be up on all the interesting restaurants in town, the latest movies in the theatre, and always ready to share her intel. Just don’t think of disturbing her when she’s scrolling IG and Pinterest for the coolest makeup and nail inspo!